[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Droopy Band

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 28 07:32:21 PDT 2009

>  "M J (Mike) Logsdon" <mjl at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> Considering the high quality of the playing, why haven't researchers
> merely assumed it was Pee Wee's band?  Would Pee Wee have been
> likely to turn down such an offer?

Dear Mike:

Hunt probably would have relished such an offer. However the MGM
studio orchestra probably had quite a few jazz musicians on salary.
Similarly to the Radio studio bands at the time. So it would have been
cheaper for them to use studio musicians than to hire an outside band.

During the 1940s and 1950s, many jazz musicians joined the various
studio orchestras in order to make a living, For example, guys like
Pee Wee Erwin, and Hank D'Amico and many other jazzers all worked as
studio musicians in NYC.

And in the 1930s recording studios had their own stable of studio
musicians which included Benny Goodman, the Dorsey Brothers, Miff
Mole, Red Nichols Jack Teagarden and others et al.

Studio musicians are all versatile, top level players who could
routinely produce what we hear in Dixieland Droopy. I think they did
so in the musical backing of most of the cartoons produced during the
30s, 40s and 50s. Much of that music was Dixieland. (Carl Stallings
productions etc.)

Even today, there are cartoon music bands, reprising that music For an
example near you, see:

http://www.afm6.org/ArtistProfile_JeffSanfordsCartoonJazzBand.htm.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone