[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Droopy & Pee Wee Runt

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Oct 27 17:12:43 PDT 2009

Stephen G Barbone asked:
> Who played in the cartoon band?

Dear Steve,
Researchers have never found out. And it has not been from want of
trying.
If, indeed, it was anyone we know.
However, it is always tempting to assume that it was jazz musicians we
all know and love from that period.
Like the band in 'Pete Kelly's Blues', Pete Daily or even (given the
acknowledged secret at the end of the cartoon) Pee Wee Hunt & His
Dixielanders.
Veteran MGM music-master, Scott Bradley, was responsible for the
'Dixieland Droopy' soundtrack.
If only we knew who was in the MGM studio orchestra in the mid 1950s.
Unless we have a DJML lurker who was involved in the Hollywood studios
at that time, and knows specifically who the band was, the only person
I can think of who would know is David Boeddinghaus, pianist with Banu
Gibson and a member of the pit band for 'Josephine' - along with
listmate Katie Cavera.
David is an acknowledged expert on cartoon music.
Maybe Katie can ask him.
Very kind regards,
Bill.