[Dixielandjazz] Strange Jazz Titles

Robert Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Mon Oct 26 14:40:06 PDT 2009

I've just completed putting all the jazz record titles that I have into a
database. Under ways I was often puzzled by some of the titles. I assume
that a lot of titles are incomprehensible to me because I'm a Brit.

Ace In The Hole (e.g. Bunk Johnson)
Alligator Crawl (e.g. Fats Waller)
Anna Mina Forty And St. Louis Shorty (Blythe's Sinful Five)
At The New Jump Steady Ball (Ethel Waters)
Back Alley Rub (Jimmie O'Bryant)

So if you've got the time and the inclination, I'd be very grateful for some
explanations. It may be that the lyrics, where present, explain the title,
but I haven't had time to check this so far.

I've only got as far as the first B's, so be warned - there are a lot more
to come.

Kind Regards

Bob Smith