[Dixielandjazz] Fw: Tony Spar or Tony Spair?

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat Oct 24 15:15:52 PDT 2009

Listmates,

Here is some info from Johnny Varro regarding a subject that was discussed here on DJML a couple weeks ago.

It is always great to hear info from the horses mouth.  All too soon the original guys are gone and then it is much harder to get the info correct.

HTH --Bob Ringwald

 Bob. Perhaps you can forward this to whomever. Yes, Tony Spair did exist. In fact, he was the trumpet player with a cooperative band called the Empire City Six. I was with Phil Napoleon at Nick's on and off between 1954 and 1959 or '60. On with Phil and when Phil vacationed half the year in Miami, Pee Wee Erwin would take over leadership. The sidemen would stay on. In between some of these times Billy Maxted would fill in and I would slip over and play at Eddie Condon's. I was at Condon's as int. pianist for 8 months in 1957, then either on the road with Eddie or back at Nick's. It was a great and busy time for all of us. One summer they had no one to fill in at Nick's so we talked them in to hiring the Napoleon band sans Phil and using Tony Spair, the Empire City Six was born. With Spair, myself on piano, Harry Di Vito, on trombone, Kenny Davern on clarinet, Pete Rogers on bass and Phil Failla on drums we played the summer at
 Nick's and later at the Rendevous in Trenton, N. J. ABC Paramount approached us to record for them and we did an LP called "The Empire City Six Salutes the Colleges". We played all college fight songs which ired us for we wanted to play the jazz standards, but it worked and we did a second album for Hallmark doing the standards. Don't know what happened to Tony. We lost touch when I moved to Miami to work with Phil again doing the Jackie Gleason show and other gigs around a very swinging Miami Beach at that time.

I guess that covers it all and yes Spair sounded a lot like Phil and yes Kenny Davern was livid about the Lavern spelling of his name as you can imagine. I'm sorry for taking so long to get back to you but was out of town and just got back to my PC. Best always, Johnny