[Dixielandjazz] Pub jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 14:10:32 PDT 2009

For many years we have read how spoilt the Brits were for easy
availability of jazz in pubs.  I myself spent many evenings, and even
afternoons, listening to jazz in pubs (a link to the beer thread?).
Sometimes it was excellent, sometimes mediocre, but it was there.
Now, pubs seem to be closing down at an alarming pace.  I've just read
that some 2,000 closed down between March 2008 and March 2009.  What
will be the impact on jazz?  Will young musicians be able to find
other outlets to hone their skills?

Not to mention that the disappearance of pubs in Britain sounds almost
like the end of the world, at least - as we know it!
Cheers