[Dixielandjazz] Let's Get This Dixieland Business Straight.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 21 08:34:27 PDT 2009

This about a year after Condon opened his own club in NYC. He was the
premier "band marketer".

Eddie Condon quote from a Bill Gottlieb article in  Downbeat - October
7, 1946

"And let's get this Dixieland Business straight. I've never had a
Dixieland band . . . or a Chicago band . . . or a New Orleans
band . . . or any other style band. All I'm aware of is good jazz and
bad jazz. Good jazz is improvised music, with each man playing in his
own particular way, maintaining, of course, a certain amount of
cooperation with the others. That's what we've always played. I never
dictate any style or any anything to my guys except to name a tune and
state the key. They have no restrictions other than to be themselves.
They not only play the way they like, they can wear red suspenders,
drink on the stand and show up in paper hats. I don't make them wear
uniforms."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband