[Dixielandjazz] marketing

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Oct 21 00:50:52 PDT 2009

Steve wrote:
>The Marketing lesson applies to OKOM as well as Coffee. Give the customers
what they want which is,  quite often, is not what the manufacturer or band
produces.

I know you mean well, but this "Marketing lesson" is being stretched a bit.
The customers in Spain certainly didn't care about any coffee being imported
from the U.S.  If you had read further what you obviously googled (I got to
the same article the same way you did!), you will have noticed that
Starbucks did a deal with already existing VIPS restaurants, which is a sort
of fancy fast foods chain.  This will have given them what looks like a
large presence in Spain which you mentioned:

>They also have 76 stores in Spain with 46 in Madrid, 20 in Barcelona,
5 in Sevilla, 4 in Valencia and 1 in Las Palmas.

Madrid is a city of 5 million, so you have to actually go out and look for a
Starbucks if you are interested.  The three I have seen in the city center
are full of what suspiciously looks like Americans!

One must add to your sentence above "give the customers what they want",
with the adage "along with good quality", and maybe, with a bit of luck
included, the crowds will come.

Jim