[Dixielandjazz] The Pizzarelli's

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 20 09:04:29 PDT 2009

Not Dixieland, but surely OKOM. Worth a visit if near NYC.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

October 19, 2009 - NY TIMES - by Stephen Holden

A Couple’s Dialogue: He Gives Her Swing, She Gives Him Soul

Who wouldn’t want to grow up in a household where the music of Duke
Ellington, Stephen Sondheim, Les Paul, Joni Mitchell and Nat King
Cole, performed by Mom and Dad and their friends, transforms family
gatherings into screwball jam sessions? This must be what life is like
with the Pizzarellis, I fantasized last Wednesday evening while
leaving John Pizzarelli and Jessica Molaskey’s new show, “Lost and
Found,” at Café Carlyle. Might they please consider adopting me?

Mr. Pizzarelli, a jazz guitarist, friendly crooner and comic
storyteller, and his wife, Ms. Molaskey, who comes from Broadway,
suggest a pop-jazz Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers gliding across
Manhattan as they exchange sophisticated musical banter. Revising
Katharine Hepburn’s famous observation about that dancing couple —
that she gives him sex, and he gives her class — Mr. Pizzarelli’s gift
to Ms. Molaskey is swing and hers to him is soul, if soul is taken as
a synonym for the psychological subtexts of lyrics.

“Lost and Found,” which began a one-month engagement at the Café
Carlyle last week, is the couple’s most musically far-reaching show,
delving more deeply into jazz history than usual. It gives Mr.
Pizzarelli and his band, which includes Larry Fuller on piano, the
younger brother Martin Pizzarelli on bass and Tony Tedesco on drums,
more elbow room, with an extended instrumental of Ellington’s “Cotton
Tail.”

It also includes a version of “Perdido,” for which Ms. Molaskey,
adopting the bop language of Lambert, Hendricks & Ross, wrote words to
an instrumental introduction of the song from an old recording: “Yes I
took the craziest trip/And flipped for a Freudian slip/Now I am
forever, ever, ever, ever lost.”

Like the duo’s earlier shows, “Lost and Found” is built around
pairings of songs to create musical dialogues. Performing “While My
Guitar Gently Weeps” and “Killing Me Softly With His Song,” Mr.
Pizzarelli murmured the George Harrison lyrics, quietly accompanying
himself on guitar, while Ms. Molaskey sang the Roberta Flack hit in
which a besotted fan imagines that a self-absorbed musician onstage is
reading her mind. The two ballads made a natural fit.

A more adventurous coupling interwove Rodgers and Hart’s “She Was Too
Good to Me” with Ms. Mitchell’s early lament “I Had a King” to evoke a
bitter variation of the same dynamic; in this case a husband is
unaware of his wife’s discontent until it is too late. In Ms.
Molaskey’s slowed-up swing rendition of “Raised on Robbery,” one of
Ms. Mitchell’s few out-and-out rockers, she stepped gingerly into the
role of a cash-strapped woman who “ain’t asking for no full-length
mink,” offering sex for money to a well-heeled stranger in a hotel
lounge.

The show became airborne during the program’s ultimate hybrid, “Wrap
Your Troubles in Dreams,” followed by a re-creation of the Les Paul-
Mary Ford recording of “The World Is Waiting for the Sunrise.” A
secret musical ingredient in every Pizzarelli-Molaskey concert is its
pulse: an irresistible buoyancy that springs from Mr. Pizzarelli’s
guitar and his ebullient personality. The music doesn’t merely swing,
it bounces, and happiness reigns.

John Pizzarelli and Jessica Molaskey perform through Nov. 7 at Café
Carlyle, at the Carlyle Hotel, 35 East 76th Street, Manhattan; (212)
744-1600, thecarlyle.com.