[Dixielandjazz] purists

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 14:28:29 PDT 2009

On 17/10/2009, Jim Kashishian <jim at kashprod.com> wrote:
> I originally wrote:
> >They are different, although they come from the same source.
>
> And, Marek added:
> >How true!  Americans prefer dirty water to coffee!
>
> Ah, but Marek, you missed my point.  Because you or I might prefer a
> stronger brew, the weaker (& much less cheaper!!) coffee served to my
> compatriots is still coffee.

> (Note:  more than likely Marek saw my point right away, but couldn't contain
> himself, making a statement against the coffee served in the U.S.)

I got the point all right, just did not agree.  Have you seen Cafe
Bagdad?  There is a scene in which, following some row between a
German couple the wife gets out of the car abd starts walking in the
middle of nowhere.  Th couple's thermos falls out in the process.  The
owner of Cafe Bagdad finds it.  Then the German eventually gets there
and asks for coffee.  Tha landlady says the coffee maker is out of
order, but the husband says OK and pours the German a cup of coffee
from his own thermos.  The German comments that "it's the first time I
get good coffee in America."  Later the same coffee is served to an
American, and his reaction is "are you trying to poison me or
something?"

This reminds me of an earlier thread started by a Dutch listmate's
comment "American beer tastes like piss."