[Dixielandjazz] A diversion: jazz and American literature.

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Oct 15 16:27:05 PDT 2009

M J (Mike) Logsdon wrote:
> I'm re-reading Sinclair Lewis's "Babbitt".
> In chapter 7 are found the following excerpts:
> "In a corner by the front windows was a large cabinet Victrola....
> Against the wall was a piano, with another piano-lamp, but no one
> used it....  The hard briskness of the phonograph contented them;
> their store of jazz records made them feel wealthy and cultured; and
> all they knew of creating music was the nice adjustment of a bamboo
> needle."
> The novel was published in 1920 [later corrected to <set>].  Any
> guesses as to what Lewis was thinking of as he wrote these words?

Dear Mike,
Okeh here 'tis, a bit late.
I'm in lurking mode at the moment (not by choice), but have been
following the tread.
The phonograph expert, Tim Gracyk, had this to say regarding fibre and
bamboo needles, which confirms their use in 1920.
Very kind regards,
Bill.

"Fibre or Bamboo Needles
Another needle is the fibre, or bamboo, needle. Patented on November
12, 1907, it should not be confused with the cactus or thorn needle
common during the WWII period. A fibre needle is soft. One should re-
shape the tip before or after it is played, using a special cutting
tool. You can get from eight to a dozen plays from a fibre needle,
depending upon your cutting tool.

Fibre needles are gentle on records. Companies claimed that the oily
substance in the bamboo acted as a lubricant which would polish and
smooth grooves each time a record is played. The soft tone produced by
a fibre needle appeals to some. A drawback is fibre needles sometimes
wear out before a record is over (the needle wears down--those who
manufactured fibre needles claimed "there is absolutely no wear to the
records" when fibre needles are used, and they may be correct).

No company makes fibre needles today. Old ones can be found in
machines sometimes. The fibre needle was invented by Fred D. Hall of
the B. & H. Fibre Company, a Chicago outfit. Hall sold fibre needle
rights to the Victor Talking Machine Company in 1910 although issues
from 1916 of Talking Machine World show that Hall revived his fibre
needle business, large ads warning dealers to avoid "infringing
needles...brought here from Japan." Hall's Fibre Needles (he used
capital letters as Victor did for Tungs-tone) were made from bamboo
imported from Japan. The November 15, 1916, issue of Talking Machine
World has an article about how fibre needles were made. The price for
fibre needles in 1917 was $4 per thousand, or 40 cents for a package
of 100."