[Dixielandjazz] George Lewis ~ Impact

Stan Brager sbrager at verizon.net
Wed Oct 14 10:03:04 PDT 2009

Richard;

When I was a kid growing up in Los Angeles, my father one day decided that he wanted to listen to a jazz radio show hosted by Frank Bull. Bull played contemporary Chicago styled jazz, Firehouse 5 + 2, Lawson-Haggart Jazz Band, Jelly Roll Morton, Bix and Tram, Louis Armstrong and others. I must admit I wasn't really taken with most of the music he played. But there were 3 recordings which made an impression on my young ears - one was the de Paris Brother's "Martinique" and the others were George Lewis' "Ice Cream" and "Burgundy Street Blues" with Monette Moore. Later, sometime after 1985, that entire George Lewis 1953 session was released on CD. The entire album was a gas from the first note to the last.

Stan
Stan Brager