[Dixielandjazz] A diversion: jazz and American literature.

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Tue Oct 13 07:53:39 PDT 2009

Banboo was indeed used to play records as were some thorns.  There are
special devices to sharpen the thorns and re-cut the bamboo to the proper
shape.   Victor sound boxes (reproducers) at first had round holes for their
steel needles and later came out with a triangular hole which would hold
either style, the steel or the "fiber".  These needles were considered
"audiophile" material.  They played at a lower volume but wore records less.
Current opinion is that they also clogged up grooves with resinous detritus.

Ron L (who also collects and repairs antique phonographs)