[Dixielandjazz] FW: FH5

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Oct 13 04:23:34 PDT 2009

>Looked up FH5 on youtube, watched them play Tiger Rag and Jingle Bells.
Scared myself to death, go back later when it's safe to so.
Richard

So, I did the same, Richard, and found the following:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rljRIEMDSo&feature=related

If it was this one you found, I'm not sure what frightened you!  It is taken
from a movie (how many of us would like to be entertaining enough to be
contracted for a film?), and the cut version (missing choruses at the
beginning) would be due to the time frame required, surely.

Listen to the out chorus which is as driving a sound as one could desire.
Forget the bells & sirens...that's movie stuff.  In a whole evening with
them in a small club, they used the siren only once or twice, and it was
very loud, and VERY effective in lifting everyone out of their seats for the
final chorus, creating tremendous applause.  A cheap trick?  Yep, but it
sure worked, as did the hats & the uniforms.

Don't forget, this was a band from the 1950's, and was extremely West Coast
(USA) style, based on Watters/Murphy, etc.  Lots of banjo & tuba & two beat.
A different sound than other areas of the world, but certainly not bad,
certainly not corny. Fun, yes!  And, these guys were mostly Disney
guys...therefore the Mickey Mouse connections.

Jim