[Dixielandjazz] Blind Spots, FH5+2

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 15:37:35 PDT 2009

> I cannot
> understand the adoration thereof.
>
> Marek, The Firehouse Five + 2 had "fun" in their music, even on their
> recordings.  That fun incurred fans (like myself), and adversaries (perhaps
> yourself)....for not being a "serious" band.
>
> The important ingredient is "fun + competence".  Nothing like good musicians
> and fun.  The two must work hand in hand or the fun doesn't work.

Live - perhaps.  On records - it's boring and corny.

> It is what I believe it was you said about a band at Ryan's just going
> through the motions.  Good musicians lacking the fun.  It was said then
> that, having talked to some ladies, the musicians livened up.  I believe
> firmly that it should be read as "after having talked to someone in his
> audience", the band livened up.

I just related a fact.  Eldridge spoke to two ladies.  And iwas not
the band that livened up - it was Eldridge, and for at least ten
minutes he played disregarding the rest of the band, until eventually
it caught up with him.

> The FH5+2 was just always on fire (pun intended), and, I experienced that in
> a small club in LA in the late 1950's, not to mention my collection of old
> lp's by them!

Pehaps live.  As I have written, on records sometimes they were
excellent, but often (Kissin Blues, for example), they were boring, at
least to listeners no feeling nostalgic about them.

Regards