[Dixielandjazz] Varying from melody ...

Rick rickz at usermail.com
Tue Oct 6 03:56:34 PDT 2009

Background.
I took guitar lessons from Allen Joseph for a year or two in Colorado
Springs.  His goal was to "play you something you've never heard
before."  As such, he frequently baffled listeners.

As a member of PPJASS, the Pikes Peak Jazz & Swing Society, I spent a
couple of decades watching fans.   They enjoyed it when they could
identify the tune.  (They often missed the announced title.)

A skilled jazz improviser starts simple and builds.  I sat, transfixed
in the Valley and listened to Joe Pass build 20 choruses, each one based
on what went before.  That convinced me that he was the greatest Jazz
Guitarist that ever lived -- and I've heard almost all the greats in
person.  (I'll spare you the list.)

So, I personally think that the inprovisor OWES it to the listener to
give them the starting basis.  But hell, that's just my opinion.

Rick Jolley