[Dixielandjazz] Little known players

James Butler jbutler6 at twcny.rr.com
Mon Oct 5 16:25:34 PDT 2009

There are so many little known or under appreciated musicians that have
passed by the music scene that it would be good just to have people mention
their names. For myself I would suggest people like Lee Giffor,tbnDick
Baars,cntJohn Ulrich,Pn,Gene Bolen,Clt just to mention a few.Being an
ex-trombone player I tend to drift in that instrument's direction but you
get the point. I guess what got me thinking about it was my listening to
Harry DiVito one of many that has slipped through the cracks. It seems like
only a select few get to be revered but there sure were an awful lot of fine
jazz players that haven't seen the light of day recognition wise. Not that
they are unknowns but more that they are put on the back shelf so to speak.
It would be nice to start a discussion about woderful players that have
caught the ear of jazz listeners out there on this list.
Jim Butler