[Dixielandjazz] Tony Spar or Tony Spair?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 5 07:25:02 PDT 2009

On Oct 4, 2009, at 8:54 PM, Bill Haesler wrote:

> Stephen G Barbone wrote [in part]:
>> Tony Spar or Tony Spair, not sure of correct spelling, did indeed
>> exist.
>
> Dear Steve,
> My file note for this musician gives the spelling as Spars.
> Sorry to muddy the water.
> 8>)
> Very kind regards,
> Bill (who sometimes has trouble spelling his own name).

Dear Bill:

Very muddy water. I can find nothing about Tony Spar, or Tony Spars
through Google. However can find a slight bit of information about
Tony Spair on Google.

There is also these two paragraphs from Johnny Varro on the Riverwalk
Jazz website, concerning Varro's time at Nick's and his time with the
Empire City Six, and his spelling of the name as SPAIR. Quotes about
the fabled Nick's from Varro, (and me) were heard on the Jim Cullum's
Riverwalk Jazz Program.  Varro's quotes below from:
"I first played at Nick's in 1954 with Phil Napoleon for about eight
months. Then Billy Maxted and his band came in there. In 1955 I
returned with Pee Wee Erwin. Kenny Davern joined the band at this
time. We were the kids of the group although I was five years older
than Kenny. For several years after that, Pee Wee and/or Phil Napoleon
would alternate with Maxted."

"One summer we (The Kids) put a co-op band together with Tony Spair on
trumpet, Harry Di Vito on trombone, Kenny on clarinet, Pete Rogers on
bass, Phil Failla on drums, and myself on piano. We called the band
the Empire City Six and recorded two albums on LP for ABC Paramount.
Oh, yes—regarding the photo on the internet—Pee Wee altered the bass
each time he went in there so the piano man was probably me. They
always leave out the piano for the lenses are never wide enough.
Curses. The bass player I didn't recognize. There was always a new guy
on bass. It may have been Charlie Traeger, seeing how young he seemed,
but I can't be sure."

SOURCE: http://www.riverwalkjazz.org/stories/StoriesfromNIcksJohnnyVarro/index.shtml

Regarding the photo Varro speaks about, it was not Charlie Traeger. It
was Jack Fahey. Back in those days I gigged with both of them in New
York City and on Long Island. Some of my stories about Nick's may be
seen at. And you can hear the rest of my comments if you click on the
audio button, top right.

http://www.riverwalkjazz.org/html/eng/public/564.shtml

Cheers,

Steve Barbone