[Dixielandjazz] Panama (Again)

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 3 12:59:18 PDT 2009

Dear Sheik & List mates

Sorry about the blank message. I agree with Dan Levinson. Every band I
ever played in, played this song differently. Most leave out a strain
or two. The one guy that I think does the sequences well  is Tex
Wyndham. He may have the original sheet music. His version takes more
than 5 minutes to play.

I can pass on the chord chart he uses, from Intro through all 5
strains plus the tag if you want, in Eb and then Ab, let me know.

I think the 3 minute limitation on early records made recording it, as
it was originally written, impossible.

4 Bar Intro

16 Bar A Strain with 3 different endings

16 Bar B Strain with 3 different endings

16 Bar C Strain

16 Bar D Strain with 4 different endings

16 Bar E Strain with 2 different endings

8 Bar Tag.

Hard to fit all that into a 3 minute recording <grin>

The "early" record I like best, despite it's 3 minute limit is Kid
Ory's, done in 1944 or 1945. (ask Bill Haesler)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband