[Dixielandjazz] More Panamas

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Oct 2 22:48:56 PDT 2009

Carl Hällström <dooji at swipnet.se> wrote to me off list to comment:
 >Didn't one of the Southern Territory Bands record Panama for Victor,
using a different title ?  Memphis Kick-Up or something alike <

Dear Carl,
Nothing wrong with your memory/knowledge of our music.
"Memphis Kick-Up" by Slim Lamar and His Southerners.
A Texas-based band which recorded it for Victor in Camden NJ on 19
February 1929.
You and I have it on the IAJRC 9 LP of the same name.
It too is on the Red Hot Jazz Archive site at
    http://redhotjazz.com/Songs/lamar/MemphisKickUp.ram
I also have it on a Retrieval CD (RTR 7906 'Texas & Tennessee
Territory Bands. 1928-1931') featuring Sunny C;app. Mart Britt, Slim
Lamar and Phil Baxter.
Very kind regards,
Bill.