[Dixielandjazz] Ella Fitzgerald - Undiscovered Verve Recordings Now Released.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 29 18:09:11 PST 2009

On Nov 29, 2009, at 8:52 PM, Bill Haesler wrote:

> Dear Steve,
> Thank you for the CD Universe link with the song snippets at
>  http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8020358
> In the NY Times Ella CD review you posted, towards the end Fred
> Kaplan says:
> "Herman Leonard, the great photographer, once took a picture of Duke
> Ellington sitting at a front-row table in a small New York nightclub,
> beaming at Fitzgerald while she sang. More than any other album,
> “Twelve Nights in Hollywood” gives us an idea of what Ellington was
> smiling at."
> Here are two links to the photograph which you will have seen
> before, but some other DJMLers may not know it
>   http://www.printsandstuff.com/btpr3178.html
> or this one
>   http://www.andrewsmithgallery.com/exhibitions/hermanleonard/hl_1021.html
> Click to enlarge.
> Very kind regards,
> Bill.

Dear Bill:

Thanks for the photo links. I saw the original in New York City in the
1990s, a few years before my mother passed away. At the Museum of
Natural History where a large collection (75 or so) of his Jazz photos
reside. Mom was a contributor to the museum and we visited it
specifically to see his photographs in the archives center there. Lots
of great jazz musician photographs including Armstrong, Ellington,
Ella, Billie Holiday, Lester Young, Monk, et al.

That photo of Ella at the Downbeat Club on 52nd Street would have been
taken shortly before the club closed. Wish I'd been there.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband