[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 83, Issue 42

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 28 16:56:09 PST 2009

On Nov 28, 2009, at 3:00 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

>  Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote (polite snip)
>

> And finally, here are some music clips from 'Ira Ironstrings Plays
> With Matches':
> "Twelfth Street Rag"
>   http://www.box.net/shared/yf4795b8gl
> "Johnson Rag"
>  http://www.box.net/shared/6zzlr3pmq0
> "Guitar Boogie"
>  http://www.box.net/shared/v41bneavql
>
> Plus, from 'Plays Santa Claus: Christmas Music for Those Who've
> Heard Everything', a clip each from each tune on the LP.
>   http://www.amazon.com/Plays-Santa-Claus-Christmas-Music/dp/
> B0000DG014
> Note that several of the songs are Lou Busch compositions, so it is
> probably safe to assume that Joe 'Fingers' Carr is featured on some,
> if not all, of this album.
>
> Listening to the above audio clips, I notice the frequent use of a
> low register, deep-toned clarinet not usually associated with Matty
> Matlock.
> Could it have been an intentionally devised signature for the Ira
> Ironstrings recordings?
> If not Matlock, could it be Eddie Miller?
> Wot say DJML listmates Don Ingle and Steve Barbone?

Dear Bill:

Sounds like a bass clarinet on 12th Street Rag. Then a clarinet duo on
Guitar Boogie where one was perhaps a bass clarinet. My guess (and
that's all it is) is that the bass clarinet is Eddie Miller.

Also, you would know better than I, but perhaps some of Matty's
Paducah Patrol guys are on the Ironstrings records. Was there ever a
bass clarinet on their records?

Cheers,
Steve