[Dixielandjazz] Hearing Aids for Musicians

Tony Pringle tonypringle at comcast.net
Tue Nov 24 12:25:23 PST 2009

Hi y'all,

I hope this does not touch on too many nerves - I can imagine it being a
touchy subject for some.

It seems as we get older our hearing suffers and it become more
noticeable at venues where you can't place the band the way you would
really prefer. The other problem areas are those with bad acoustics or
with too many hard surfaces and an echo problem. Also stages built to be
sounding boards!

I don't have to use, yet, a hearing aid, but I do hear from musicians
that do, and they have found that they are often not ideal to the task
of playing in a band and hearing what is going on.

Does anyone out there have personal experience that they would care to
share with the rest of us - also out there? Clever set up or brand name
of special hearing aids would all be welcome feedback.

I am sorry to bring this up, but I will be 73 next month and I am
attempting to be proactive. Should that be preemptive strike, or is that
a military expression only?

Regards,

Tony Pringle