[Dixielandjazz] Hey, Haesler!

Stan Brager sbrager at verizon.net
Tue Nov 24 08:01:34 PST 2009

Bill;

Thanks for the run-down on the Artie Shaw recordings. When I started serious
record collecting, I came across Shaw's "Pied Piper of Hamlin" on Musicraft
78 set. It was hilarious and it swung. Harry von Zell was the story-teller -
an excellent choice. Artie Shaw's Gramercy Five supplied the original music
which swung like crazy. I longed to hear them stretch out but knew that it
wasn't possible in order to tell the story. Shaw later recorded the "Pied
Piper Theme", but it wasn't the same somehow.

That Musicraft set disappeared along with some treasured books and other 78s
when the company for which I worked moved me from Idaho to Florida in the
early 60's. I searched in vain for many years and the hunt dropped into the
dim corners of my brain until recently. I think that Classics included it in
one of their Artie Shaw compilations - those are now, sadly, not available.

If anyone has a copy, please let me know. Maybe we can make a trade or...

Thanks;

Stan