[Dixielandjazz] Old Langer's Sty

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Mon Nov 23 14:41:15 PST 2009

Billsharp wrote:

> RE: the key for Auld Lang . . .
> Aren't people generally so tipsy by the time Auld Lang Syne
> comes around that they can't carry a tune no matter the key?
> That being the case, I usually pick monkey.  (You might try
> C# just so you and the band can finally have some fun for the
> evening.)

Jim responded

My inquiry was a serious one, not a joke.

This is for a New Year's Eve gig at a retirement community, and it
ends at 7:30 PM. The residents will be sober, and the management
has requested this tune as a sing-along. I will prepare lead
sheets for the band, so there'll be no question regarding the key
or the changes, as there will be no rehearsal on this tune.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers

    Jim,
     My response was absolutely designed as a joke, without even the
     slightest hint of seriousness. Seriously.

     Some one most recently wrote: " There is a need for a sarcasm font".
     Since I don't have one, i will merely state, there is always room
for
     humor, and i believe that everyone except perhaps me took your
question
     seriously.  All the while I was composing, I knew with100%
certainty,
     because of the nature of the DJML members, that you would  get some
     fabulously serious answers.  I must admit, i am so often so
seriously
     warped that I expect to be buried face down as to be headed in the
     right direction.

       By thoroughly dealing with such such "bass-ics", and writing out
the
     tune, your lead sheets will turn to  gold, and your performance
     magnificent.
       (No drinking?? Seriously???!!)

     [P.S.  This epistle is part joke, part serious . . . . .]

     Bill ( tongue-in-cheek) Sharp
     "Due to a lack of properly trained trumpeters, the end of the world
has
     been postponed."