[Dixielandjazz] Beatles Songs by Jazzers

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Mon Nov 23 13:11:23 PST 2009

Hi Bob et al,

We're getting into the arcane conventions of notation here. The short answer
to your question is that not only are they both right, they are both
essentially the same. 12/8 is effectively a hybrid of quadruple (4/4) and
triple (3/4) time in which a bar of 4/4 will contain 4 groups of
quarter-note triplets, hence 12 over 8. It is the conventional way of
writing a piece which
(a) has a basic feel in triple time, but where an offbeat pulse on 2 and 4
in slow 4/4 is required (as in thousands of rock ballads), or
(b) originally written in slow 4/4 time but the composer/arranger wants a
fast underlying 3/4 pulse to give it a sense of urgency and/or to introduce
a feeling of duality of metre.

The superimposition of triple time syncopations over a basic common time
pulse is fundamental to jazz and much African and African-derived music -
it's part of the DNA of jazz, Cuban son, Venezuelan joropo, Argentinian
chamame, and (perhaps less obviously, but still there) Brasilian samba. 3/4
and 12/8 time signatures are therefore closely related and indeed anything
written in one could easily be re-written in the other and still be
intelligible.

The version of "Norwegian Wood" as played by the Kenny Stewart Trio was
different in that it was a compound metre (3/4+3/4+3/4+2/4), but if we had
wanted to write it out (and make it difficult for ourselves), we could have
written those 4 bar clusters as single bars of 11/4 time. We didn't write
any of it out, since playing it was essentially a "feel" thing and once we
got our heads round the idea of missing every 12th beat, it fell into place.

A simliar thing happened on the Brubeck Quartet's different versions of Take
Five: the earliest recordings have piano and bass playing a repetitive
ostinato to mark the start of each bar, but, in later live concert
recordings, as they got more used to the "feel" of 5/4 time, the
accompaniment loosened up and became more like comping and less obviously
about marking bar lines.

I  hope this helps. Personally I'm now more confused than I was at the
start!

Regards,

Ken Mathieson,
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk