[Dixielandjazz] Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Mon Nov 23 07:40:56 PST 2009

Hi All,

Lurker Gary here.  This subject caught my eye and I opened to read
more.  But, I find that the majority of the responders find the material
"Unusual" whereas, I loved it.  Does this mean that I am unusual?  :-)

For those interested in the mélange of styles of music : I strongly
believe that a tune should not get typecast by the date and/or the style
it was first played.  I see a number of today's artists have recorded
tunes written long before the musicians were born.  Carmichael, Sousa,
Berlin and Gershwin are a couple of composers that pop into mind that
have been 'covered,' but this list is far from exclusive.

I have already posted links to recordings of the Anachronic Jazz Band
where trad musos play tunes by Monk, Parker, Davis, etc.  I, personally,
don't see why a trad (or other) jazz band should play tunes by Morrison,
Jackson or Presley.  Or even, Cobain, Spears or Dogg.

I'd like to present friends of mine, Pink Turtle.  These are some of the
best trad musos around.  Becky Kilgore wants me to arrange a concert
with guitarist Christophe Davot and Pianist Jean-Marc Montaut played in
a great trio including Richard Miller (cornet, vocals) and yours truly.
Pink Turtle (formerly, Les Gigolos) takes pop tunes and treats them as
swing.

Here are some links for your listening/viewing pleasure :

Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover (live at Jazz à Vienne)
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9kub5_pink-turtlefifty-ways-to-leave-your_music

Hotel California (IMO, great arrangement. Cut from CD. No video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_1jYgFFrbc

Walk On The Wild Side (Cut from CD. No video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7uj7RW7YuY

Every Breath You Take (Cut from CD. No video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MCLvSLaNYc

The Logical Song (Cut from their CD set to a video compilation from an
Egyptian tour)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNOcd9apr6Y

Then, there is Stéphane Belmondo.  Not a trad player, but a fine jazz
man all the same.  He recorded a full CD of Stevie Wonder tunes.  Here
is a video of his version of The Secret Life of Plants.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iEfyZkcCBE

I'll go back to lurking now.

All the best, Gary

Kay Spencer wrote:
> "Unusual", to say the least.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAXQ4t_QUtE
> Bert
>

> I'm accustomed to your comments being a little more detailed... (g)... but I guess "unusual" kinda covers it.
>
> Kay in Gilroy
>
> p.s. found your recent reviews of the Black Eagle Jazz Band to be very interesting. Thanks for the hard work.

Gary Kiser
34, rue du Président Wilson
63100 Clermont-Ferrand
09.53.99.80.73