[Dixielandjazz] Barbone and Beatles

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat Nov 21 13:41:44 PST 2009

Bill Sharp wrote:

> Barbone said, "We do "A Hard Day's Night", "Michele", "Love Me Do" and
> lots more when
> we have a "Beatles Age" audience. They love it."
>
> What do you mean "WHEN we have a "Beatles Age" audience".    You
> probably always have a Beatles age audience.   If you really think
> about it, the Beatles were around in the mid 60's.  If the listeners
> were in their 30's and 40's at that time,  let's see:  2009  minus 1965
> = 44, so they'd be in their 70's and 80's.
>
> I'd wager to bet that that would the ages of most of the people you
> play to - -so it seems in the Dixieland world,  Does this tell us
> something?  It tells me that when we play a Beatles tune we are not
> necessarily being "hip" or unique.  All that we are doing is playing a
> song from their "younger days", and thus they relate very heavily to
> the tunes.

Actually, I think most of the people who dug the Beatles when they first became popular were in their teens.

If they were 18 in 1962, they'd be 68 now.

When I first started playing OKOM, everyone older than me was from the Jazz age.  Now, none of them are left.

--Bob (where's my walker) Ringwald

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4627 (20091121) __________

http://www.eset.com