[Dixielandjazz] Kenny Ball Discography (was Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Nov 20 13:03:33 PST 2009

> I just tried searching for a good Kenny Ball track by track discography - the info is pretty thin on The Net! (even allmusic.com fails...) So far all I can find is "When I'm 64" and "Your Mother Should Know"  ( using Amazon.co and Amazon.co.uk  and my own collection.)

Dear Dave,
DJML listmate Gerard Bielderman has compiled a Kenny Ball Dicography in his EuroJazz Discos series (No. 17). Which I have.
I can't recall a specific Kenny Ball album of Beatles' songs, only that he included some in the band's playlist.
I suspect, Gerard is like me.
He will need a list of Beatles songs to be able to identify those that Kenny Ball has recorded.
Our little band (under its original leader, the late Rod Lawlis) used to get a good response from our version of "Honey Pie".
Jack Wiard, our clarinet player, has introduced several Beatles songs (I think).
But I can't recall which ones. (Refer comment above about needing a list.)
In the 60s here in Australia, Beatlemania was the gradual death of OKOM as the 'kids' moved on musically.
So we 'hated' them. The Beatles that is.
It was only in later years that we begrudgingly gave some credit where it was due.
8>)
Very kind regards,
Bill.