[Dixielandjazz] Piano in key of B

Charlie Coleman charliew8fim at verizon.net
Wed Nov 11 20:12:08 PST 2009

Hi Listees - Just returned from playing a veterans day program at a local nursing home.   The piano was an old studio box but was in perfect tune (with itself) in the key of B, down a half step.   I've run across a few of these before, so I think it's common with older pianos.    I learned scales on the fly that I never knew existed!   Well I did, but being a week-end warrior I really never practiced them much.   The piano player was competent, but strictly a reader so couldn't help me compensate on the sax.   Wonder how some of the horn players on the list handle a situation like that.    Whomever tuned the piano was careful enough when he brought it down to make sure it was an even half-step and not somewhere in the crack.    I'm too near the run-off grove to spend a lot of time practicing keys that I'll never use that much.   Should have started 50 years ago. :-(       Thanks for your suggestions.    Charlie (Let's hear it again in G-flat)  Coleman