[Dixielandjazz] The day I wish I had an amp

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Nov 10 13:53:06 PST 2009

 >>>piano player decied to take over. He played louder and louder

This is a common problem with younger players where everyone wants to be the
star.  Everyone keeps cranking up the sound.

This is also a problem with people who play alone and not within a group.
Ensemble playing is an art and too often amps distort what everyone is
hearing and it becomes impossible to balance the sound.  That's why groups
that can afford it have a sound man out in the audience.

Balance is not easy unless everyone is listening and is willing to blend
with the other players.

It sounds to me that this person thinks of himself as a soloist and not an
ensemble player.
Larry
St. L