[Dixielandjazz] FW: Just Getting Warmed up - Brass players take note

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Tue Nov 10 07:00:48 PST 2009

John Blegen wrote:
> I've found that I play far better if I do a thorough warmup before a gig (20-30 minutes), but I do it at home, never on the stand.  Even if the warmup is separated from the gig by several hours, it makes a great difference.
>
>  John Blegen, clarinet
> jcblegen.com
>

> _

NOT warming up is asking for long term trouble. If the situation on a
stand means blowing through the horn is a problem,you can always find a
niche and "buzz" - and that will help exercise the muscles and get the
blood flowing to support the muscles. And doing it as soft as possible
has the same principle as playing long tones soft as possible.  But to
always start without some warmup is asking for long term trouble.  There
is always a way to get the chops awake and ready to work - so work it
out. Great teachers like Maggio, Nichols, Leonard,
and others I had a a chance to study with in my younger years lasted
into their old age still at the top of their playing game because they
did it right.
However you do it, warm up.
Also - my amigo in Spain had it right when he said pros showed up
earlytogetset up,warmed up,and ready to play. That was once the standard
by which proswere measured.Theywere also the reliables that got the work.
Don Ingle