[Dixielandjazz] Free Jazz and its New Orleans Jazz Roots

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Sun Nov 8 19:17:45 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Haesler" <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au>
> "King Porter Stomp" for most 'jazz' musicians would only go as far  back
> as the Swing era and Fletcher Henderson's 1935 arrangement for  Benny
> Goodman and His Orchestra.
> Ask almost any jazz person who composed it and when and they would be
> quite surprised to hear that it was Ferdinand 'Jelly Roll' Morton in
> 1902.

Dear Bill,
I am surprised - 1902 eh? That's the year JRM said that he invented jazz -
he turned twelve on October 20, 1902. If he composed it before that date, he
was only eleven. Strange that, he said he named it in honour of Porter King,
whom he met years later on his travels.

Best wishes
Jack Mitchell