[Dixielandjazz] Warming Up - was Keyboard etc.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 8 16:23:36 PST 2009

On Nov 8, 2009, at 3:00 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> Robert Ringwald" wrote (polite snip)
>
> And that brings me to a complaint about horn players.  I hate it
> when they get up on the stand and warm up, annoying the audience and
> other musicians who are trying to get set up and trying to talk not
> too loudly so the audience can hear them.
>
> Why can't a horn player go into the restroom, outside, green room,
> or somewhere else to warm up?  And why can't they warm up with a
> mute in the horn?
>
> I have been at functions as a guest, not playing, and been in the
> audience eating dinner or talking when a horn man or two or 3 start
> warming up on stage and sometimes, due to his ignorance or the
> ignorance of a sound man, while standing near an open mic.

I hear you Bob. I work sometimes as a sideman in a band where the
leader horn man warms up with long tones and scales for about 5
minutes right in front of the audience, either on the stand or on the
main floor. I cringe as does the rest of the band, especially when he
hits a lot of clams.

Our trumpet player, Paul Grant has a mute which blocks out almost all
sound which he uses. It is great practicing in motel rooms when on the
road. We all warm up outside, in a dressing room, or hallway if
necessary. Both the trombonist and I do very little warm up. All I do
is run the notes from bottom to top to make sure all the keys are
working. All she (trombone) does is blow about 6 notes.

The only thing we do on the stand is tune up. Bass and guitar tune
electronically and virtually silently. Indoors , with my 61mm barrel,
I am just almost alway perfectly tuned to them. Trumpet tunes
electronically and Trombone tunes during first number.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband