[Dixielandjazz] FW: Hypothetical question

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Nov 6 01:06:21 PST 2009

Bob wrote this answering Bill:
>Thus, when Riddle came aboard, obviously with his arrangements, they played
them.  If they were professionals, the drummer did not necessarily make them
play better.  They were just playing Riddle's arrangements as they were paid
to do.  That was their job.

Maybe your last sentence is the crux of the matter.  Ship musicians would be
playing the same old thing if not every nite, at least repeated on every
cruise...week after week.  And, not necessarily with people they would
choose to play with.  I suggest that new arrangements & a good leader (in
this case, the drummer) could snap them out of their boredom at least for
the time of the show.

I heard a singer on board a cruise, an Australian named Greg Bonham, in the
big showroom one nite.  He was the featured showman (they bring these people
on board for a one nite show), and they play with the house band, as Bill
mentioned.  A great voice, big band style..(Fly Me to The Moon, etc.).  He
was obviously very used to managing a band after a short rehearsal.  There
was no doubt where the breaks were, the tempo of the ending, the tempo of
the whole song.  He directed it all.  It didn't take away from his
performance, and it would have been easy to have sat in that band.  He had
drive, and positively knew what he wanted.  With good musicians, it was a
combination for a successful gig.

Note;  the biggest surprise of this man's show was when, after about 45
minutes of singing, he picked up a trumpet.  His first notes were in the
Maynard Ferguson range...and, he stayed up there with out a single crack!  I
nearly fell out of my chair.  My friends, who are not musicians, sorta
yawned, etc.  I mean, with no warmup (at least of the last 45 minutes), this
guy was playing with unbelievable style.  Unfortunately, if you're not a
brass man, the wonder is not that apparent.

I spoke to him after the show and said I was amazed...all that on a cold
horn.  He said it was nice that at least someone recognized how difficult it
is!  :>

Jim