[Dixielandjazz] Banishing the Mikes

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Nov 5 10:43:38 PST 2009

Steve Barbone posted an article regarding "Banishing the Mikes" about the New York City Opera.  In addition, he made the comment

"Three cheers for natural sound. Hope it happens in Jazz."

I agree with Steve and once again, whenever this happens, I really get worried...

         I have posted before on this subject.  I can't tell you how many times I have either been in a band, or in the audience when the band is waiting for the sound people to get everything set.  The band starts late while standing around waiting.

The thing is, the band would have sounded better without amplification.

A few years ago I suggested that the Sacramento Jazz Festival and Jubilee have an acoustic room where no mics were allowed.  As part of their preparation for the Festival, in the band packets sent to the performing bands, the question was posed as to if the band wanted to perform in that acoustic room.  As I remember, much to my surprise, I think I was the only band who wanted to do that.  Gawd, it would have been so neat to hear the bands live and unamplified...

 Many years ago I attended a concert by Banu Gibson at the Hollywood Bowl.  She had her band there and also did some combined tunes with the Hollywood Bowl Symphony Orchestra.  Or maybe it was the Los Angeles Symphony.  At any rate, I was so disappointed in the sound as it was all coming through speakers.  No natural sound at all.

BTW- as a side note:

At this concert, Banu performed a song (can't remember the title) which was arranged for her by Dick Cary.  It was arranged for the entire orchestra and was a beautiful arrangement.

A few days before Dick passed away, Dick told me that he was very proud of that arrangement.

--Bob Ringwald

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4576 (20091105) __________

http://www.eset.com