[Dixielandjazz] Steve Brown

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Wed Nov 4 19:50:48 PST 2009

ROBERT R. CALDER wrote:
> Yes, Marek, and Steve Brown was around for long enough that there might be reasonable hypotheses about his having influenced players who weren't white, quite apart from his merits as a bassist and a musician.
> I didn't see any light until the 1950s but beside a precocious interest in Acker Bilk I did have some ancient 78s to hand and on the other side of one from a track by Nathaniel Shilkret and his Orchestra there was and still is "Slow River" by Goldkette with a rhythm section of the same order as the famous one Wellman Braud starred in, the lovely little bowed surges finally being replaced by the pluck and slap of Steve Brown. Even on some Goldkette tracks which Ken Mathieson tells me he couldn't listen to without a vododeo filter there are some wonderful dynamic dancing phrases evoked by the hands of Steve B.
> Nice music to unearth this time of an evening. Something for the stressed man's heartbeat to aspire to.

Steve Brown's recording of My Pretty Girl with Goldkette is a great
exampleof his slap bass style. It made the side romp. The straigh sweet
trombone melody against the hot clarinet was a wonderful contract,and
the trombonist was Spiegle Willcox. The other side featured the solo by
Bix onClemintine - a solor tha tmade me toss the clarinet and turn to
cornet. It was, as history proved,the hottest bandgoing at that point in
time.
Steve was the brother of New Orleans trombonist Tom Brown, by the way.

Don Ingle