[Dixielandjazz] Importance of the rhythm section

Kent Murdick kmurdick at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Wed Nov 4 07:13:14 PST 2009

Steve is right about the rhythm section, IMO.  I used to run a small
high school jazz combo many years ago, and I knew nothing about horns at
that time, but I did understand piano/guitar, bass and drums.  I would
work with the rhythm section and could usually get a nice Basie sound
from them.  Once that groove was set up, the inexperienced horns could
solo and actually sound pretty good.  One key for me was making sure the
guitarist could play straight rhythm.  With the guitar chopping the
right voicings, and the bass walking the changes, the piano part could
be minimal and sound good.