[Dixielandjazz] Benny Goodman Centennial

doctordubious at verizon.net doctordubious at verizon.net
Fri May 29 20:51:57 PDT 2009

It was also on last night, May 28, and I went. What a night. Not only great
clarinets, but the contrast in styles was rewarding. Buddy DeFranco (wasn't
he a mentor of yours, Steve?) very much more "modern" with "blocked
phrases". Wilber and Peplowski more fluid and lyrical ala Benny and Goines
with a harder edge and tone. Ted Nash also came from the orchestra and
contributed admirably.

Some interesting charts that I had not heard much before from when Benny
formed what they called "the new band" , I guess in the later '40's. Some
great Eddie Sauter and Mel Powell charts.

If this comes to TV, don't miss it.

Regards,

Tom Duncan
Doctor Dubious and the Agnostics
PO Box 2118      Teaneck, NJ 07666
P   (201)836-6076     FAX   (201)833-4143
www.doctordubious.com

Our CD "Hot Jazz" available at venues or through CD Baby
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ddta

For mp3 download of individual tunes or full album
http://www.digstation.com/AlbumDetails.aspx?albumID=ALB000024164