[Dixielandjazz] PEEWEE WAS A GENIUS

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu May 28 13:01:42 PDT 2009

A genius.  Definitely.  From start to finish.

And one does not really need to choose between Russell and the great
swing players.  I, for one, stil swaer allegience to His late Majesty
the King (of swing).  No nostalgia here - I first heard jazz in the
mid 1950's, after his kingdom had crumbled.  And i admire Artie, and
Mince, and Faz.  And many others.  So?

Russell was unique.  Perhaps the best illustration are his outings
with another absolutely unique musician - Red Allen (aptly described
in the liner notes to "Swing Trumpet Kings" as "the minority of one."
Two apparent "outsiders" playing their own thing, unlike anybody else,
and still squarely rooted in jazz mainstream (the avant garde
trumpeter Don Ellis described Allen as "the most avant garde trumpet
player in New York").

Cheers