[Dixielandjazz] Sal/Sol Pace (was From the Village Voice - 1963)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 20 18:09:28 PDT 2009

Marek Boym wrote regarding Sol Pace:
> I guess he mustn't have recorded much; I only encountered him on a
> bargain Pee Wee Erwin LP, and on the film I mentioned, again with
> Erwin.

Dear Marek,
Sal[vadore] Pace did record a bit over the years, although finding the
records will be hard.
He is on a 27 July 1936 session with Joe Hayes' Orch (formed after
Tommy Dorsey 'borrowed' the 1935 band following his spit with Jimmy)
reissued on IAJRC CD 1008.
Also:
Al Donohue orch in 1940 for Okeh.
Charlie Spivak from 1941 to 1945.
Una Mae Carlisle acc: Bob Chester's Orch 1950 reissued on Classics 1265.
Phil Napoleon's Original Memphis Five 'live at Nicks' 1952 (on a rare
10" LP).
Pee Wee Erwin 1953. A Brunswick LP BL54011.
Both Pee Wee Erwin and Billy Maxted sessions for Cadence in 1955/56,
currently available from Worlds Records on Lone Hill CD 10122.Pee Wee
Ervin speaks highly of Sal Pace (page 240) in the book 'This Horn For
Hire. The Life and Career of Pee Wee Irwin as told to Warren W Vaché,
Sr'. (1987. Scarecrow Press).
Very kind regards,
Bill.