[Dixielandjazz] From the Village Voice - 1963

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue May 19 07:11:10 PDT 2009

Sal Pace passed away a while back. He was born in 1910.

But his musical legacy lives on. BTW, in addition to Pee Wee Erwin,
Sal played with Charlie Spivak, Phil Napoleon and Louis Armstrong. He
also appeared in a couple of movies, Follow The Boys, and Pin-Up Girl.
He also subbed for me in Kenny Butterfield's Beale Street Stompers,
two weeks in the late 50s when I went on a sailboat vacation with
Charlie Traeger. Sal had very kindly become a friend/mentor, inviting
me to sit in at Nick's a few times when I was first learning how to
play jazz.

His son, Gary Pace is a jazz pianist as well as musical director with
several plays and other events in NYC to his credit. His
granddaughter, Gary's daughter Jennifer Pace, is a singer and actress
in NYC. She has performed at The Village Gate, and other well known
venues in NYC. Her repertoire includes Dixieland numbers if anyone is
looking for a good looking chick singer. She has also done some shows
on the music of Billie Holiday, Rosemary Clooney.

Sal Pace was a wonderful guy, solid clarinet and Sax player.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband