[Dixielandjazz] HEY!

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Sat May 16 12:19:11 PDT 2009

Hm-m-m-m...I always thought Cell Block 7 was considered at least a West Coast Trad band...am I wrong?
Warm regards,
Bob Romans,
1617 Lakeshore Dr.,
Lodi, Calif., 95242
Ph 209-747-1148
When you battle with your
conscience and lose, you win.

Hi, Bob -
You could use this response for the DJML. I'll probably be tarred
and feathered, but oh well.
-gb

What the writer refers to is a conundrum. Our world-wide attendance
has been falling for the past decade, with a larger and larger
percentage of our audiences from within a 25-mile radius of the
festival. In the early years, there was great enthusiasm for
traditional jazz, but as the years have passed, the representation of
traditional jazz purists has fallen. Our local audiences want newer
and more varied styles of entertainment. Over the years, starting
even when Bill Borcher was our executive, we have provided varied
styles of music, but our local "brand" has not caught up with what we
offered. So, after extensive discussions, we have taken the first
step - referring to the festival both as the Sacramento Jazz Festival
and as the Sacramento Jubilee, interchangeably. I might say that we
continue to provide plenty of swing and traditional jazz, including
BED, Bill Allred?s Classic Jazz Band, Company B, Fulton Street Jazz
Band, Gramercy 6, Sister Swing, Steve Lucky and the Rhumba Bums, the
101st Army Dixieland Band, Black Tuesday Jazz Band, Blue Street Jazz
Band, Big Tiny Little Jazz Band, Catsnjammer Jazz Band, Climax Jazz
Band, Cornet Chop Suey, Dr. Bach and the Jazz Practitioners,
Firecracker Jazz Band, Fulton Street Jazz Band, Golden Gate Rhythm
Machine, High Sierra Jazz Band, K Street Ramblers, Midnight Rose Jazz
Band, Natural Gas, New Lowdown, Night Blooming Jazzmen, and Polly?s
Hot Paupers, and Royal Society Dance Orchestra, two dozen all star
performers who play traditional and swing jazz and, this year, the
Benny Goodman Centennial Tribute Band.
-gb

Gene Berthelsen
Executive Director