[Dixielandjazz] Buddy Rich, Mr Nice Guy,

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri May 15 07:31:46 PDT 2009

On May 15, 2009, at 6:32 AM, pj.ladd wrote:

> You're entitled
> to an opinion when you can play like he did,>>
>
> That is about the most stupid thing I have read.  You might as well
> say that you have to be able to lay eggs before you can tell if one
> is bad.
>
> Pat

Hi Pat:

Did you take that a bit out of context?

I think the context is: Buddy berating the band and how piss poorly
they played that night. Missing cues, coming in, in the wrong places,
etc. It was a tirade from a man who was clearly very disappointed, if
not embarrassed, at how poorly his band played.

Rich was certainly a fine drummer and a solid musician except for the
fact that he couldn't read drum music well. He was a demanding band
leader. He employed talented musicians. So in that context what is
wrong with a guy saying in his defense: "You're entitled to an opinion
when you can play like he did."?

Likening it to your eggs, that's like saying you are entitled to an
opinion about eggs,  if you are an expert on eggs.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband