[Dixielandjazz] Al Hirt

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri May 15 07:09:52 PDT 2009

Following up on Kash and Ringwald's view of Al Hirt. Our late
trombonist, Glenn Dodson was with the New Orleans Symphony for 9 years
early in his career. He spent a lot of musical time sitting in with
Hirt and Pete Fountain. When asked about Hirt, Glenn would marvel at
the man's command of the trumpet. (Hirt was classically trained like
Glenn). I think when your command of the horn is like that of Hirt, or
Dodson, or Marsalis, or Sandoval, or Parker, and others, you are at a
special level.

Unfortunately, I think many in the audience are not capable or really
appreciating just how well these guys play, and just how well they
play jazz. So they decree what they do as "not being jazz". They don't
seem to hear the special things that two such players do on the stand
when each has total command, they are listening to each other,
challenging each other and playing such unbelievable improvisations
together.

Too bad, because the aforementioned Hirt, Marsalis, Dodson, Sandoval
and the others have simply taken the genre to another level. Is it
trad? No, IMO, nothing later than Buddy Bolden is "trad". But is sure
as hell is Dixieland when they play in that genre and they are
swinging their butts off.

Yes, Dodson would talk about how Hirt swung and what a pleasure it was
to work with a guy that had total command of the horn. (Glenn had that
also) He would also talk about how Hirt often said the he was not
really a jazz musician, but then, many other great jazz players have
made that same statement about themselves.

Is it really as this reviewer said: (his perspective excerpted below)

A virtuoso on the trumpet, Al Hirt was often "overqualified" for the
dixieland and pop music he performed. . . He . . . mostly stuck to
Dixieland in his live performances . . . although one often feels he
could have done so much more with his talent.  - Scott Yanow

OUCH.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband