[Dixielandjazz] Buddy Rich, Mr Nice Guy,

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu May 14 18:13:13 PDT 2009

Eupher Dude waits for someone to say how nice Buddy Rich was etc.  OK,
here it is. <grin>

This from Terry Gibb's book. (Gibbs joined the Rich Band as a young
player)

"There were two sides to Buddy Rich. He could be nice and he could be
an asshole. . .He was real nice to me."

And for a personal remembrance about Buddy Rich by drummer Art Verdi,
go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epQZti3U2-A

I agree with Verdi. Rich gets a lot of bad press because of those
tapes. And I don't think those tapes make him a bad guy. They are only
one tiny snippet of the man who was obviously pissed off about the
band's performance that night. The band screwed up and Rich felt
betrayed. Simple as that.

Yes, he had a big ego, but then, I think if you want to run with the
big dogs, you better learn how to piss in the tall grass. Rich's
biggest fault might have been was that he was naive about all the
druggies in his bands. Some say he had more druggies in his bands than
Woody Herman (the previous record holder) had in his. (our bass player
claims this and he played for 6 months in Rich bands)  Rich didn't
realize that one of the reasons they were often screwing up is because
they were spaced out. He thought they were just lazy and not paying
attention.

Also see below from a 90th birthday tribute to Buddy Rich:

Sept 30, 2007: BR, 90 years. I'm just SO glad I got to know you a
little bit and I am forever deeply grateful for your encouraging words
to a young drummer!!
And to all of you saying Buddy was a SOB and everything you really
know about him is what you heard on "the bus tapes"! You're entitled
to an opinion when you can play like he did, when you have the
experience he had. I knew him - he was the kindest guy I ever met in
my life. He could tell how much I loved music, the way he played it,
and he liked me for that! Today, being a big band leader myself, I can
understand the frustration when my name's on the billboard and people
in my band can't play their parts... And that's being said from my
humble level. Think about it! //Roger

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband