[Dixielandjazz] Highly recommended CD.

M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu May 14 13:47:52 PDT 2009

Stomp Off 1424, "John Gill and His Sentimental Serenaders Remember Bing Crosby: Learn to Croon".

I was very skeptical when I first heard the samples at the Jazz By Mail website, as all I could hear was John Gill.  Then a good friend and musician encouraged me to reconsider my opinion.  I ordered the CD, and I cannot recommend it enough.  (It's the REAL Bing of 1931-35; ducking and running.)  I still hear John, but it's Bing I definitely feel.  I'm listening to it right now at work, and occasionally find myself doing a double-take after allowing my disbelief to suspend itself ever so slightly.  And the band is top-notch (Kelso, Stein, Levinson, Kellin, and a host of others I don't recognise, but that doesn't mean anything).  It's seldom I know I'll be listening to a CD with a vocal on each track over and over and over!

For samples and ordering, go to:

http://tinyurl.com/q3wj2u