[Dixielandjazz] FW: Jelly Roll Morton website update - 6 items of historical interest

Glen Page gpage at dccnet.com
Thu May 14 13:24:32 PDT 2009

My understanding is that Mike is still encountering difficulties
transmitting directly to DJML. I am assisting him by forwarding a message on
his behalf.

As I remarked the last time that I did this his coverage of all things
Morton related is encyclopaedic.He has been collecting this information for
the past 50 years. I am pleased to be of assistance to him in this non
commercial venture. I must say that I have prompted him on several occasions
to consider publication of his collection of memoirs etc. Subject: Jelly
Roll Morton website update - 6 items of historical interest. Glen Page.

Hello all,

The Jelly Roll Morton website has been updated with the following 6 items of
great historical interest:

Brian Goggin sends an excellent essay on the trumpeter, George William
Mitchell. This accompanies Mitchell's September 1918 WWI Draft Registration
Card. Mention of Bobby Williams, Tony Jackson, Doc Cooke, Jimmie Noone and,
of course, Jelly Roll Morton.

Don Rouse and the Potomac River Jazz Club send a 1947 Circle Records order
form for the limited edition Jelly Roll Morton Library of Congress records.
This is from the estate of the late Beale Riddle. More items to come in
future updates.

Don Rouse and the Potomac River Jazz Club send two stunning publicity
photographs of trumpeter Sidney de Paris. These are from the estate of the
late Beale Riddle.

Millie Gaddini sends a terrific article about trumpeter Ward Pinkett,
titled, "A Note on Ward Pinkett". This is from the final issue of the "Jazz
Information" magazine, dated November 1941.

Don Rouse and the Potomac River Jazz Club send a rare photograph of Edward
"Kid" Ory. This is from the estate of the late Beale Riddle.

Dan Morgenstern sends an Obituary Notice for Voltaire (Volly) DeFaut from
"Down Beat", dated  16th August 1973. Be sure to check out Ate van Delden's
excellent article on Volly DeFaut, which is linked from the Obituary Notice.

The above items can be accessed from the grey UPDATED BOX at:

http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/updates.html

Musically yours.

Mike.

www.doctorjazz.co.uk