[Dixielandjazz] Club Manager Quote - Was musicians quotes

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu May 14 12:41:25 PDT 2009

This said to a young Artie Shaw on one of his first gigs after forming
his first band. He was talking to a ballroom manager about how the
Shaw band was so wonderful musically,  producing interesting, original
music and why that would be good for the venue etc.,  . . .

Said the manager:

"You listen to me, Shaw. My problem is to get the dough to pay you and
your goddam band and the rest of the expenses I got to pay to run this
joint. Your problem is to get people in here. And if you want to take
your pants down on that goddam bandstand every night and take a crap
up there, and if people will pay to come in here to see you do it,
I'll pay you to take a crap up there every night. That's how much I
give a good goddam about what kind of music you're playing. You hear
me?"

I guess that's "Music Business 101", if you want commercial success.
The band stands of the world are littered with the corpses of great
bands that did not realize this. While lesser bands/musicians who put
some showmanship into the act made fortunes. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband