[Dixielandjazz] FW: Passing of Dr. Ken Blood, Monterey CA area OKOM trombonist

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Tue May 12 10:09:02 PDT 2009

I received the following this morning.

This brings you surprising news. Ken passed away peacefully this
morning... He had a massive stroke Thursday evening. We believe he
suffered very little, perhaps the first few hours when he realized
that he was in big trouble and was having difficulty speaking.

Please do not be sad but be happy that he had such a wonderful
life and that he was able to pass on without a lengthy illness or
pain. Jane, his daughter, and Kate, his granddaughter, both from
North Carolina, are here with me and a great comfort.  We all feel
so lucky to have had him as a dad, grandfather or loving husband.
Now there is much, much, much paper work to attend to which will
keep me busy for weeks.

The family will celebrate his life this summer when everyone can
get together.

More later,

Carol Maehr

Ken was a very good player, and an extremely nice guy. I wish I'd
known him better.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA