[Dixielandjazz] Whatever Works

Katie Cavera kcavera at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 11 10:16:42 PDT 2009

Woody Allen has a new film coming out called "Whatever Works" staring Larry David.  I just watched the trailer for it on youtube and it looks like it's going to be pretty funny.  Here's a link to the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVi3zs_S96M

>From about 1:35 until the end of the trailer you'll hear a hot jazz band playing.  That's Tom Sharpsteen and the Orlandos playing an original Ray Ronnei composition called "Salty Bubble".  Tom was a good friend and a champion of New Orleans jazz.  You can read about Tom here:
http://www.clintbakerjazz.com/sharpsteen.html

Ray Ronnei, like Tom Sharpsteen was a champion of early New Orleans Jazz styles. He was active in the 1950's, 60's, and 70's in Los Angeles, and was a vital member of the El Dorado Jazz Band, playing cornet and occasionally composing. Ray retired from playing in the 70's but he's still around and living in southern California.

>From what I understand, Woody Allen licensed the song from The Orlandos and Ray Ronnei for use in the film and on the film's subsequent soundtrack recording.  I'm just really happy that Woody Allen is keeping this kind of music out in the public. Maybe someone will hear the song in the movie or on the soundtrack and become interested in this style jazz.

Cheers,
Katie

http://www.katiecavera.com